Vote at Spring 2013 MNEA Representative Assembly

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Speaking Out

I am not a stranger to standing up and speaking out when necessary.  Here's a recent example:

The Board of Education in my school district has been described by one outside observer as a "Stepford" Board.  Yes.  Yes.  Yes.  Yes.  Whatever you say, Dr. Mr. Superintendent.  There has not been a dissenting vote on the Board in at least five years - probably longer - I just got tired of looking through minutes.  Like the GOP during the last election, Board members are in a "bubble" and receive only certain information selected to support the Administration's proposals.  Board members are discouraged to contact teachers, employees and principals to verify any information - that is considered to be "micromanaging."  Anyone who dares criticize is labeled "negative" and the opinion is dismissed out-of-hand.

A few years ago, I came across an article about the investigation into the Columbia Shuttle accident.  The report not only discussed the technical failures but also highlighted how the organizational culture of NASA failed.  When I read the article, I immediately recognized the similarities with my school district. (Full report)

After a series of poor decisions by the Board this year, I felt that it was time to speak out.  My remarks began:
After the Columbia space shuttle disintegrated during reentry, the federal government ordered an extensive review of that failure.  The review committee looked back not only at the history of the space shuttle program – including the Challenger disaster – but also examined the organizational culture of NASA that permitted these mistakes.
 NASA had a culture that squelched dissent and stifled differences of opinion.
Its past successes made it resistant to external criticism and doubt.
Organizational barriers existed that prevented open and effective communication.
Administrators imposed a “party-line vision” which led to flawed decision making, self-deception, introversion, and diminished curiosity.”
Needless to say, the Board members and Central Office administrators were not happy.  Yet, after the meeting, every parent in attendance approached me and thanked me for the remarks.  My comments were partially quoted in the local paper (link) and afterwards a parent of one of my students emailed me his appreciation as well.  Since then, several administrators have privately thanked me for saying what they cannot - at least not with retaliation.

I am ready to STAND UP and SPEAK OUT for Missouri educators and their students.  Vote EAGER for NEA Director.

No comments:

Post a Comment