Vote at Spring 2013 MNEA Representative Assembly

Monday, May 14, 2012

Why did I join the NEA?

Sometimes big decisions depend on little things. 

In 2005, I was hired by the Independence School District.  I was going to work in a public school for the first time.  During orientation, both teacher associations represented in the District made a presentation to the new teachers.  I do not recall anything specific about what was said.

The Independence Community Teachers Association (ICTA) had a great breakfast spread with all sorts of homemade cinnamon rolls, quick breads, muffins and rolls.  A feast for sight and smell.  I love bread.  I love sweet things.  I love butter.  Put all those things together and I am in heaven.  If I voted with my stomach, I would have joined them immediately.

The Independence National Education Association (INEA) sponsored a lunch.  I remember these plastic red apples on the tables filled with candy that were given away as door prizes.  I wasn't thrilled at all when I won one of these apples.  I sat with the new teachers and NEA members from my building.  Next to me was a young man, a science teacher, who I knew was a respected member of the faculty.  He wore an “I am the NEA” button.  I don't recall what, if anything, we talked about.

But I remembered that blue square button.

On the last day of orientation, an assistant superintendent announced that all new middle school teachers would have an additional day of professional development the following day.  It would be my 6th day of New Teacher Academy.  “Sorry for such short notice,” she said.  With all the other required professional development for returning teachers, that meant I would only have 1 contract day in my new classroom before my students arrived.  I was furious.

At that moment, I recalled my colleague with the button, “I am the NEA.” 
“Yes,” I thought, “I too am the NEA.”

I still wear my "I am the NEA" button with pride.  

When I wear that button, I remember that young teacher who was essentially shouting what I had only heard whispered before.  "I am the NEA."  

When I wear that button, I remember that, if I want to make changes in my working conditions, I need to stand up and speak out, "I am the NEA."

When I wear that button, I remember that I belong to a great association of individuals, united by their collective belief that every child deserves a great public education.  "I am the NEA."

No comments:

Post a Comment